View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #12
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
While I agree I wouldn't run Super Sports on the track - Bridgestone tires are very heavy compared to Michelin. I always find it amusing when guys spend huge amounts of money for fancy lightweight wheels and fail to look at tire weight. As an example - when shopping for street tires for my Cayman S daily driver - I decided to look at the weights of various options. I didn't buy because of this but I found it interesting.

The RE-11 in 245/35/19 is 28lbs and the MSS is 23lbs
in 265/35/19 it's 29lbs vs 25lbs. Pretty significant difference.
All true but for me... lap times matter far more than tire weight and the RE-11 is consistently a full second faster than MPSS on the track. I guess in this case the extra weight = added grip. RE-71r is a lighter tire with still more grip than the RE-11 but they wear out twice as fast. I like the RE-11 as my street/rain/practice tire due to their good combination of strengths that suit my driving, and run the faster but faster wearing RE-71r for competition. If I only ran AX or street-only use the MPSS would be on my short list due to their excellent all-around manners.

Tires are always a tradeoff.

Last edited by Topless; 08-18-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote