View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
mnc-i

Question about Boxster Alternators

My question: Is there a specific alternator for a manual Boxster and a specific alternator for a tiptronic Boxster? I thought I read a post that depicted two separate alternators with two different part numbers. The alternator I intend to purchase from O’Reilly’s which comes with the pulley is #R111061A. O’Reilly’s, AutoZone and AdvanceAuto all only list one alternator for a 1999 Boxster.
Background
I intend to replace the alternator in my 1999 Boxster. It is a tiptronic with 284,600 miles. After a 70 mile drive, I stopped at a restaurant (which took no more than 20 minutes). When I started the car to leave, my ABS and Battery lights stayed on. I drove home (approximately 10 miles). I had no loss of power steering and no over-heating (which told me my accessory/serpentine belt was OK). My research on this forum leads me to believe that I possibly need a new voltage regulator or alternator. I’ve made up my mind to replace the alternator with a remanufactured one from O’Reilly’s. The price is $163.99. I know that it very well could be just the voltage regulator (F00M 145 225), and I can obtain one from my local VW dealer for less than $60.00. However, I don’t want to have to replace the alternator twice.
P.S. I haven’t been to Bastrop lately, what do you all think of possibly getting an alternator from Woody and replacing the voltage regulator on it for good measure? On second thought I just might as well replace the voltage regulator on my alternator:-)
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote