View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
barkinfool

Garage
986 Key Fob Repair Kit - Review

Recently I ran across a youtube video which gave a DIY explanation of how to fix the key fob due to broken buttons / switches. One of my keys had an inoperable lock/unlock button for a couple of years, so it was relegated to spare key duty only. Anyways, the person who created the content has a 986 and sells a kit which includes a new battery, three switches, and some fine solder to make for a turnkey repair (bad pun). While you can source the individual components probably for less $$, it was worth it to me to buy the kit because I figured the video instructions were worth it and it made me confident to do this successfully.

Today I got the kit in the mail and repaired my key fob in about 30 minutes. It was a simple repair. I've always been a bit nervous about somehow damaging the IC board and I'm not so skilled with the solder iron, so anyone can do this with minimal effort. I'm guessing some others have the same problem as the key switches are fragile. Here's the link to the video if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/WyyzKFu3nDY