View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
ttmedical

Garage
Switched Fuse Slot

Hi everyone, I wanted to share some things I learned when trying to hardwire a dashcam into the car. I suppose this will also work for a radar detector, laser detector, and maybe a low caliber electrically operated turret hahah! Anyway, there are plenty of guides for how to access the space in the headliner and the A pillar (which required more force than I thought) to run the wire to the fuse box on the driver's side.

What the guides don't mention is where you can find a switched fuse space that I could add to using the "Add-a-circuit" product. I discovered that D10 is for accessories but it is an “always on”, at least for 20 minutes after I removed the key, closed the door, and locked the car, so no go there. I found that E8 worked for me (it's for the optional phone). Funnily enough, E6 is as well (E8 is listed as Terminal 15 and E6 as Terminal 30, maybe someone can elucidate what that means). E8 provides ample power to the dashcam (mine is a Rexing V1) but it switches off when you move the key to the car off position instead of when you remove the key. I may tinker with some more mods so I can get the cam to activate when it senses motion but I really don’t want to accidentally drain the battery. I hope this helps anyone about to do any hardwiring project!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote