View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
MWS

This is coming from someone who was in your position...

We had several BMW's, 3 series, X5 and last a X3. We really liked the quality, but also the 5 year "no maintence cost", unfortunately they make up for the five years on day one of year six. Back in 2006, we wanted another vehicle for a "drive to airport car" as we traveled for business a lot. I was looking at a used 3 series, but knew that if I went "dealer service" route, it was going to cost. Here is where I will give my wife lots of credit...she saw a 2001 Audi A6 (the bi-turbo 2.7), I will admit that nothing about the cars appearance impressed me, I just saw another 4 door sedan, but she wanted, so we purchased. It didn't take me very long to realize that this was quite a good car, bordering on excellent. The thoughtfulness and engineering really impressed me and when it came to service, prices were just about the same as any domestic. We ended up owning this car until 2013 and drove to over 150,000 miles and only sold because we didn't have garage room for 4 cars. This car impressed me so much that we abandoned BMW and went the total Audi route; we now have a 4.2l S5 and a V6 3.2l Q5 (as well as the Boxster). I love Audi, I love the my service group...the only thing I don't love is there are too many damn Audis out there...guess I blame Audi marketing (ever notice that EVERY big movie has to have an Audi in it?)

Anyway, my point...for low service cost, good engineering and (I would say) ride quality, go the Audi route, but be prepared to see a car that looks just like yours almost everywhere you go. As a disclaimer, no, I don't work for Audi.

One last 2-cents... Because the A6 is very popular on leases and used a lot as corporate "executive" vehicles (both leased and as corporate fleet), there are a ton out there with low mileage and well looked after, because of this not only is inventory high, but prices are low. I have always said that the best value on any car out there is a 4 year old A6. I would advise NOT going with the base or entry trim though, look for a loaded "Premium Plus" or "Prestige" with the V6, and the Bang and Olufsen sound system is a huge upgrade over the stock system. If you want to go crazy, look for a S6 or RS6, but the prices are much higher, and I really don't think it's worth it for a daily driver.

Best wishes.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote