View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I'm surprised he sold it after going to the trouble of getting a quality rebuild done, but I can understand why. He was very unlucky to buy a car that instantly had major issues. It does seem very unusual that a car that supposedly had an LN IMS installed at 18k would then experience an IMS failure.

My comments are not specific to Hammerhead, but I have noticed that as 986 prices have dropped more people are buying them very cheaply, often without a PPI, and having a lot of issues. If it cost less than $10k, you are going to spend at least $10k by the time you get it running properly. Anyone who buys a Porsche and expects the parts and repairs to be cheap is dreaming. I wish more people (again not specific to Hammerhead) knew what they where getting into when they bought a 986, because a lot of them are getting destroyed by owners that doesn't want to spend the time/money to maintain them properly.
You have to be circumspect of IMS retrofit claims on cars up for sale. We have seen more than one car that was "supposed" to have an LN bearing in it that actually did not, including one that later suffered an IMS failure and was found to actually had the factory bearing in it even though it was advertised as having had the retrofit. This kind of thing can cause nightmares for the new owners, and billable hours for the lawyers.

We regularly warn potential buyers to be very careful about retrofit claims other than the Solution, which you can clearly see with the car on a lift. Any car claiming a retrofit should be traceable; could be from service records or receipts, or even contacting the shop which supposedly did it for confirmation. Our rule of thumb on a PPI is that if you cannot independently confirm the retrofit, it never happened.