View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I replaced the vacuum tubing today. I made a couple short videos that I'll put together and post here later.
Really it's not that complicated, but it can be difficult to access on these cars.
First, let me explain, there are a few separate systems that use vacuum from the intake. The most common one to fail is the secondary air injection system. That is the one I replaced. The other vacuum users are the brake booster and the fuel pressure regulator. Both of these looked good, so I left them alone. ***Tiptronics have a vacuum line that goes to a valve on the transmission. 2.7L and 3.2L engines have a vacuum line that goes to an actuator for the flapper valve on the front cross tube.***

SAI vacuum system:
-Remove the throttle body and cross tube for access to the rear part of the system.
-Remove the alternator for access to the front part of the system.
-Pull out all the old tubing.
-I replaced all the tubing, but reused the check valve and Y.
-Put it back in connecting to: 1) Electric change-over valve. 2) Vacuum source at cross-tube. 3) Vacuum resevoir. (2.5L 5 speed models have the simplest system)
***recommended: Also replace the small tube that connects the electric change-over valve to the vacuum powered change-over valve.
-Reassemble everything else that was taken out.
Old:

New:

During the process I saw that there was some ugly oil in the intake. I had expected this from the over-filled oil level and I'm 90% sure that it's from a ruptured membrane in the AOS. I had actually expected it to be a bit worse. I'll probably replace the AOS on tomorrow if I have one. I need to dig through some boxes in storage. The job itself really isn't that bad.

Lots of other stuff was done today too... It started with a conversation with RedTele58. He is ready to get started on a Spec Car and somehow out of the dozen or so Boxsters in his secret Porsche warehouse, none of them are quite right for the project. This one however is a great platform to start from. I'm still a bit aimless here, and not anywhere near ready to start on a Spec build of my own. He has gathered parts and wants the car. (Bad.) The end result is that he is getting the car for a great price and I am going to strip all the stuff that he doesn't need. (Don't tell him, but I'm tracking my hours and I'm going to add it to his final bill.) Some of the parts are going to be swapped on to my other cars, some will be listed here or on eBay later.

I completely removed the top today to make my work easier. Also removed the radio and started to strip the interior. This is actually what I do for fun in my spare time.
I have removed tops before, so I went without instructions, but the first time I used Mike Fockes directions: Starting on page 11 of this: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/BOXSTERConvtopconversionPARTIformatt.pdf?
I disconnected the battery before taking the alternator out and couldn't find the CDR-220 radio code marked anywhere in the car, so I added the serial number and info to the thread where Heiko looks up radio codes. Great to have him take care of that for free for so many of us!

I'm not done with this car yet, and RedTele58 (Rick) hasn't even started. I'm sure there will be plenty more to read.

Oh, ...one last thing. I found a (the?) coolant leak. I pulled off the coolant cap to get a picture and as I was putting it on, I noticed a drip. The coolant expansion tank seems to have a crack that only leaks when there is pressure, or when the cap is off. Maybe just slap a little JB weld on there and hope Rick doesn't notice.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-12-2016 at 09:24 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote