View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
jakeru

How many miles on the car?

At 105k miles, the front shocks and front bump stops in my 2001 were completely gone. The front end would readily bottom out - it was horrible, I tell you! And the car would become very badly upset in the most common of driving situations, such as simply trying to shift in the middle of a turn.

The rear shocks could be serviceable a little while longer, but still not ideal with notable differences in damping resistance throughout their travel. Upper strut mounts were OK, both front and back. No problems with the tie rod ends, ball joints, rubber bushings on the a-arms, but I serviced the ball joints and tie rod ends by removing the upper clips and packing inside fresh grease. Rear track arm bushings did get loose and are making noise - I haven't addressed yet and am planning to soon. There is a procedure to repair them by peeling the metal around the spherical bearing I'm planning to do, rather than outright replace. Fronts OK. I believe previous owner replaced the swaybars end links, as they seem perfect. I installed US-spec M030 springs during my shock replacement project while I was at it. Love!! You can clean and re-pack (with silicone grease) the upper strut bearings. Mine were not perfect (one dust seal had an ever so slight tear in one spot), but seemed serviceable. I doubt the fresh grease is going away anytime soon.

Konis are good aftermarket shock option now for 986. They offer "sports" if you like a traditional firm sport shock feel, and "FSD" if you want a softer feel without a whole lot of compromise. Factory shocks are bilstein twin-tube and also of good quality, just lacking the desirable rebound-adjustability of the Koni sport or the also desirable, extreme digressive rebound characteristic of the FSD. Obviously, if you've done any research, replacing the shocks is a lot more work than just servicing some rattling track arms. Firestone offers lifetime alignment deals, which if you don't plan to do everything all at once, but may need to potentially upset the alignment on multiple occcasions, can make sense.

Last edited by jakeru; 08-12-2016 at 06:10 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote