View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #23
splatch

I looked at the car and unfortunately, it really was a $11k boxster. I didnt find any signs of an RMS leak. The plus side of the car was that all the maintenance had been done, it had been lady driven, ownership history was good, it had a new top, new alternator, and other new parts that had been replaced. She claimed her parents were very anal about maintenance b/c they didnt want to see her stranded on the road.

The downsides were that it had been lady driven (after seeing it and hearing her talk, I could only assume she treated it like a fashion accessory), the top leaked, the cables were cutting through the plastic above the windows, and a metal piece was damaged causing it to not go up and down automatically. whether it was a transmission cable or not, i dont know. she claimed to have a $600 quote on it. the lock actuators were broken so she couldnt lock it from the exterior (she had a $1200 quote on that). the airbag light was on and had been on for 4 years. she said it was a factory recall but jim ellis porsche and hennesey porsche wouldnt honor it, but that a dealership in charleston would. while it had apparently been replaced, the clutch felt awful. It had ungodly amounts of clutch shudder and didn't feel smooth at all. the paint was fading in places, it was pretty scratched, it had over 10 dents in it from a college campus, it had very very yellowed headlights, it was due for its 100k servicing, and more things i can't think of right now.

I think it may have been an $11k boxster, but I'd rather spend more money and get something good than take the cheap route and get a headache. Plus some of her stories didn't add up, so I bailed. She claimed to be getting 10.5k from a dealer, so I told her to take it. It's always a shame to see nice things trashed like that.
splatch is offline   Reply With Quote