View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I would disagree that dealerships are "super expensive", I think that's more on a case by case basis.
When my alternator went on me shortly after acquiring the car in 2006, I decided that would be my first DIY. I got it out, then had it rebuilt by some local shop that had been in business for probably 60+ years. The one mistake I made was disconnecting the harness under the passenger seat (without disconnecting the battery) so that I could pull the seat and have better access. After finishing the project I realized that I now had a CEL (airbag-related) that I couldn't reset with my $59 Actron scanner. I took it to the local p-car dealership who gladly reset it, calling "Airbag maintenance and repair" or some such nonsense. They charged me, for essentially turning off a CEL, about $100...WHICH WAS MORE THAN THE VENERABLE SHOP THAT REBUILT MY ALTERNATOR HAD CHARGED ME

I guess that's when I jumped on the bandwagon and started calling them "stealorships." That said, I guess there can be exceptions to every rule. So I'll re-word that...my local dealership is super expensive (and I've heard others make the same complaint).
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote