View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #9
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Well, I've heard of people talk about it. Which is very similar to a car I used to be a pro at. I've owned 9 DSM's (89-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser) with the 2.0L Turbocharged I4 AWD.... My last one was fully built from the engine to the suspension and dyno'ed at 860whp. However, those had like a Hockey Puck looking oil cooler. A single large hollowed out bolt that would bolt it down and then the filter would bolt down on top of this. It was designed the same way. Oil lines go one way, coolant lines the other. If you tighten down the bolt too much, it could bend and crack the lines and mix the two. So I understand the issue. I've even done it on accident once before, that was a bloody mess!

Anyway. I do see the two different size. I just came on here to ask about the different sizes. **************************************** shows the two and says two is required on both part numbers. I work at a parts store so this is no issue.

Someone mentioned the bad part is draining and refilling and bleeding the coolant. Is this really necessary? Kinda looks like it is. Looks like once I unbolt this guy, oil and coolant is just going to come pouring right out of it and possibly mix the two anyway which I'll have to do both oil change and coolant flush. God I hope not! I was hoping I could possibly just drain some of each.... I gotta do an oil change anyway.... to a level where its not inside the oil cooler anymore. Pop it off, clean it all up, fill the holes, degrease, wash, let dry and re assemble. I must clean all of this. I cannot go on living knowing my engine is that dirty. It bugs me. Some people are clean freaks with houses or clothes, I'm cars. Even tho the engine isn't visible, I know it. One of my previous cars had a candy engine bay that was show quality and you could eat off of it..... I kept it spotless. I cannot accept this. So with that said, I accept and thank you all for your tips while I have this crap torn apart. Going to try to get it all looking new again.
You will need to drain the cooling system before removing the cooler. Undo the four bolts holding it in place, lift it slightly straight up, and slide a plastic bag (folded flat) between the cooler and the engine; then wrap the bag up around the cooler and remove the cooler. The bag will catch all the oil and coolant that is still inside the unit as you remove it.