View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Flex plate orientation?
With TC pinned in place and tranny bolted up except last 1/8 to 1/4", was planning to bolt flex plate to converter then finish bolting tranny to engine. Problem is, there are no holes in portion of flex plate accessible through starter hole.

Tried rotating engine, thus flex plate, but converter wants to move with it when attempting to rotate. Pins stops rotation. Pulling pin will allow flex plate to rotate, but converter is moving too, so while I can get flex plate holes to appear inside starter hole, when I do, they do not match up with converter, since I had to unpin it to rotate flex plate.

Obviously I've gone wrong somewhere. Trying to understand where. Was there a mark on the flex plate for correct orientation to line up?

Thanks, Joe
The object of the long pin thru the bell housing and into the converter is two fold: It hold the system in position while inserting and tightening the converter to flex plate fasteners, and hold the converter to the trans while removing it. You insert the long pin once you have the flex plate and converter bolt holes lined up, insert and tighten the two Allen head bolts, and then remove the pin to allow the converter and flex plate to rotate to the next set of bolt holes, re insert the pin and do the nest set of fasteners. There is no "alignment mark" on either the converter or flex plate, just three sets of two bolt holes. Once you get the pinned converter lined up with the first set of holes in the converter, the rest should already be aligned as well. Did you insert the pin into the converter while the trans was still out of the car?

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-02-2016 at 02:01 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote