View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
geraintthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyonine View Post
Ply board?
Yeah was thinking something like that, but may use stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Pave it all.... problem solved.
"As it's a rental property, I can't change it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Depending on how thick the gravel is, you'll need something like plywood to dissipate the force when jacking up the car. You might use a large piece of cardboard under your work area so you can find anything that drops and you don't scoop up a bunch of gravel in your pants when you crawl under it.
Going to use tarpaulin instead of cardboard. I can use tent pins to pin the corners down and drive onto it. Also water proof if it's rained the day before

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Plywood is good for staying off the ground and not losing nuts or bolts that drop on the ground. Be very careful lifting the car or using jack stands though. I suggest using the largest paver(flat cement square) that you can find. You want a thick paver because thin ones will break easily if too much pressure is forced on them. I would also use a scissor or bottle jack over a floor jack and flat bottom jack stands if you can. Be very careful whatever you end up doing. I had a car almost fall on me because the jack stands had shifted. The jack stands were on plywood and had started to break through the plywood. I was replacing the rear axle on a car and the car started to move. I did the fastest crab shuffle in my life and not a second or two later after getting out, the whole car came falling down. I make a habit of placing a wheel or something solid and big under a vehicle when I'm working on them.
Thanks for the advice man. I think separate paving stones for the jacks may be the way to go then. I haven't looked properly yet but it depends how deep the gravel goes, I may be able to shift a space out of the way so that the axle stands/jacks are on solid ground. But yeah, I've no idea what's under the gravel yet.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote