Thread: 2nd gear issues
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
soxfan1966

Just an update on things.

Local independent Porsche shop I brought it to diagnosed a few things. First thing he noticed was the clutch was worn. After he test drove it he said the clutch pedal was heavy and an indication that the clutch was worn and was probably contributing to the notchy shifting. He said the pedal should feel lighter and the clutch action be smooth as butter.

Second, he believes the 1st and 2nd "shifting sleeve" is worn. His recommendation was to replace that too (he did mention that once the transmission was opened up he may need different parts).

Doing both the clutch and shifting sleeve at same time saves labor, sinice transmission has to come out for each.

The car has 150K miles, with 35K of that being mine. I knew the clutch was wearing, and I have no idea how old the current one is nor how many miles are on it. Overall, car is in excellent condition.

After talking with him over the details I told him to proceed with the work. Cost is more than I was hoping to spend but feel it will give me many more miles to enjoy the car.

Hoping to have work done by next week, I will update again after that with final results (what problems ended up being corrected, how the changes feel when driving).

Thanks
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote