View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #17
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Uhmmmm...i call bull**************** on the pink jelly remark. I put green stuff that was stated to be compatible with all coolants and it really was compatible with all coolants. no pink jelly.....
Not every coolant that is mixed with Porsche coolant will cause a problem, but some will. It is real, so why take the chance? Do a flush if you are not sure.
Here's a water pump that I pulled from a failed 2.7l engine:

The pink gel was also in the coolant passages of the engine and no doubt, the rest of the cooling system.

Here's a little reading on the subject if you are interested, click the quoted text for the link:
Pedro:

Quote:
"On a final note, regarding the “mixing of non Porsche coolant with Porsche coolant will turn to gel” issue, here’s the scoop.

Porsche was one of the first manufacturers to use an all aluminum engine and they were pioneers in the development of the Organic Additive Technology (OAT) for antifreeze. In those days the concentration of silicates, borates and phosphates (among others) was so high in the commercially available IAT coolants, that when mixed with OAT this would cause the additives to precipitate out of solution and would clog many of the fine cooling vanes in the radiators and engine. This precipitate had the consistency of slush.

Bottom line: Don’t mix different types of antifreeze."

JFP in PA:
Quote:
"If you could see the nightmares we have had to deal with that were caused by mixing the OEM coolant with aftermarket stuff (gelled lumps in the cooling system, plugged radiators, etc.), as well as the service bills they caused, you would view the use of the OEM coolant as cheap insurance…………"

Lots more info out there if you bother to search before calling BS.
:dance: