View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDiablo View Post
HUGE UPDATE!!!

I just got off the phone with one of the two Porsche dealerships I have available to me.

With parts/service I inquired about the cost of gear oil for the manual transaxle in my car (2002 BS 6 speed). He came back with $10.55/quart.

He then had me hold while he went to go confer with the techs about this, due to my disbelief of all that is holy about Porsche OEM fluids.

I asked him if that was the Porsche "OEM Fluid", and he says, "No. It's a Mobil 1 product we get from Lube Tech, we get it in 55 gal drums, it's what all of our techs use for all manual transmissions"

I don't know what the frick to think about anything anymore.
Then think about this: Porsche has two suppliers for their manual trans gear oil, Mobil and Shell. It has been that way for about 20 years or so. What is different, is that both companies make a specific gear oil to Porsche specs, which is not a GL4 or GL5 product. So while the drums in comes in may be either Mobil or Shell, it is not a product you can buy anywhere else. We even contacted Mobil several years ago, asking if we could get it in drums for the shop, the answer was no, it is only available from Porsche. So that is how we buy it.