View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
san rensho

overheating after water pump change

I just changed the WP on my 2004 base and now the temp slowly creeps up and up, no matter if I have the ac on or not. Before i changed the water pump, the temp stayed right next to the 180 hash mark no matter what, It didn't move.

I thought it might be that there's air in the system so forum Guru Meir graciously hooked up his uview to my car and still it overheats. We used the uview when the coolant was hot and full. We couldn't get a vacuum in the green zone of the guage, but it wouild hold vacuumin the red zone. after pulling a vacuum, Meir was able to get the coolant system to pull coolant into the system,. And he did it a couple of times until it wouldn;t take any more coolant. It pulled about 2 quarts of coolant.

After purging with the uview when i'm driving the guage stays between the 180 hash mark and the next mark, about where the zero on 180 is, But if I stop and just let the car idle with the ac off, both fans run on high and the temp won't stabilize. the temp slowly eventually creeps up past the last wihite hash mark on the guage, between the last hash mark and the red hash mark. Durametric shows 120 C coolant temp.

Any Ideas?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano