View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
papasmurf

I would agree with most of what FauxDiablo says....

I wrap cars for a living...my boxster is partially wrapped (windshield frame). I have contemplated wrapping my car many times as I am fond of the signal and viper green colors the car was not offered in without PTS but have not done so. If your paint job is worn with any chipping or flaking areas, the paint will be removed when the wrap is removed. I usually advise against wrapping cars that have economy respray jobs or if the original paint is older and has not been properly cared for. You will see chips under the paints...scratches not so much unless they are wide and/or deep. Everyone is very fond of the matte finishes but these typically do not wear very well unless you are careful where and how you drive (gravel roads and following dump trucks are a no no). There are lots of places now installing wrap and lots of people that think they can do it themselves after watching a youtube video. It is not an easy process and a true professional will install the wrap with as few seams as possible. It is possible to wrap the door jams and under the trunk, etc. to make the wrap appear like a paint job but most people do not want to pay for this level of detail so it is rare...certain colors (black) it is not as distracting on just like a respray. There are ways to install the wrap without cutting on the vehicle (cut tape, trim lines) but some places do not use these options. The vinyl wraps in the gloss colors can be polished to some extent and there are waxes available to give them more protection. If you are someone that does not wash their car frequently, I would pass, as just like paint the dirt buildup will likely lead to surface wear over time. There are some advantages to wraps as the finishes available can be next to impossible to duplicated with paint and if a panel is damaged...repair can sometimes be more economical than having it repainted.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote