Thread: 2nd gear issues
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
soxfan1966

2nd gear issues

I know this is not a new topic, have seen variety of misc posts on it, but trying to narrow things down.

I have a 2004 S with 6 speed manual. 2nd gear has always been a bit rough early in the mornings or when car cools off awhile. Once car warms up, it's fine. When cold, gear selection is hard to notch correctly.

In the spring, I changed the manual transmission fluid - used Sweepco 201. That seemed to help a bit.

Recently, it's gotten bad again, and perhaps a little worse. Still OK once it warms up, or I shift between 1st and 2nd several times while sitting in the driveway before heading out - loosens things up.

Wondering if I am looking at some costly repairs soon - clutch replacement, gear synchros, or something else. If I had a better idea what the issue was I could perhaps get it serviced and prevent a more costly repair.

Oddly, I have a BMW 3 series (auto trans) that I am having the tray rebuilt on (reverse gear failure). Shop comes recommended, including a trusted mechanic. Was thinking of having them have a look.

Thoughts / advice?
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote