View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
FauxDiablo

What are your thoughts on this oil migration?

Hi, new to forum, not new to mid-engined money pits.

After accepting the fact that I can be compulsive, I bought this 2002 Boxster S from a guy who brought it into the dealer for a new clutch, and upon asking his wife's permission to spend another $3K on the car, he was told to sell it.

Needless to say, I got it for a good price.

It is currently on the hoist, awaiting the arrival of about $700 worth of clutch and 60K mile tune-up parts, among other things. The car only had 66,000 miles on it, and runs very nicely. The clutch was not actually bad, but the throw out bearing is toast.

Anyway...

When I removed the engine cover, I was greeted with oily plastic tubes (A, B & C) that APPEAR as though oil has migrated through them. It appears as though there are no oil leaks, which is why this is perplexing me. There is no oily/dusty residue on the metal parts, so it is not an oil leak spraying a fine mist on anything.

However, on the drivers bank (Arrow D) some of this oil does migrate down to (or up form?) the lower part of that intake.

Any ideas on what is going on before I tear into something I should not worry about? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Also, the oil was very dirty when I changed it, so I cut-open the filter for an inspection. There was absolutely no trace of metals above the microscopic level which made me very happy...But I DID find 3-4 very small (pinhead sized) pieces of black or brown plastic pieces...Too small to worry about?

FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote