View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 04:31 AM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello JFP in PA,

never have seen in it person how it was done on a 986/996. As far as i understand from the readings in the german Porsche forum they use the oil cooler lines to do it on the 986/996.

Also you do not need a pressure system if you AT oil pump generates enough pressure to forward the oil. And i'm not convinced that a pressurized system is better in any ways, because you use an overall higher pressure that is normal in the system. As you know how the EHS works and that you are not allowed to clean it with pressurized air for example, i'm not shure if it is a good a idea to use high pressure at all at this AT.

As you know there are several manufacturers that at that time used the "life time" fillings on their AT transmissions without a torque converter drain plug.

Mercedes-Benz themselve uses the Tim Eckart system and a very similar exchange system like Tim Eckart in their german workshops for their cars of that period with no torque converter drain plug. Might not be that efficient, but works. And better to change the ATF this way than change the complete AT under warranty, because many cabs over here in Germany are Mercedes brand and the Mercedes AT 772.6 just failed in that cab cars within short time when the ATF oil wasn't changed. So they reduced from life time filling to a 60 TKm complete ATF change interval including ATF oil filter.

And yes, you need around 12-13 litres of ATF to change a 8.5 litres MB 722.6 AT system with that method. But you can exchange the whole ATF in that way, while else you can only dilute when you cannot flush the toque converter.

So the real problem with this MB lifetime filling AT is you don't have a drain plug on the torque converter. I think this is the same with the 986 ZF AT, which is also very very similar constructed to the MB 722.6 AT.

But i think we have discussed that already. So i don't want to be annoying. Maybe there are just different kinds of views how to solve the problem. Think you agree that the idea of a lifetime ATF filling doesn't work as initially intended by the car and transmission manufacturers in practice.

Regards, Markus
As mentioned earlier, there are no external oil cooler lines carrying ATF fluid on the Tip, so it is not possible to attach any system to the car. The cooler itself is also nearly inaccessible with the car assembled.

As for pressure, the normal internal operating fluid pressures of the Tip and most other automatic transmissions is in hundreds of PSIG; a service pressure flushing system runs at a fraction of that normal internal pressure, so there is absolutely no possible damage to the internal component's of the gear box when the flushing unit is operated properly.

Years ago, manufacturers discovered that drain plugs on torque converters create weak spots in the unit that lead to cracking or worse, particularly on higher horsepower vehicles, or with engines that operate regularly at higher RPM's. As such, they removed the drain plugs, and now no one I am aware of has them anymore, and is also why most shops went to pressure flushing systems in the first place.

At the shop, we don't wait until the ATF in the Tip reaches ink like conditions of the factory recommended service intervals before draining it, preferring to shorten the normal service intervals to around 40K miles for normal street cars, sooner for cars that are tracked. By replacing at least some of the fluid regularly, the dilution effect helps remove the normal debris and beat up fluid that accumulates over longer service intervals, usually eliminating the need to fill/run/dump the fluid multiple times to clean the system out; and this also lowers the overall "life of the unit" service costs as well.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-02-2016 at 04:49 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote