View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Bluetop

well, I took the plunge...

Hey there!

Just thought I should say hello. I've been around Porsches since I was a wee lad and my father bought a brand new 1960 Convertible D-a normal. After a few years he bought a 912-a '66-in which I took my driver's test in 1971. My oldest brother sold Porsches in Anchorage in the mid '60's-he had a signal yellow 4-speed 912 up there. Me other bro had two 911's at once for a while; a '71 911T and a '77 S. Then a couple of years ago he bought a '97 Boxster, a real beaut, with 7,000 original miles on it.

A couple of days ago I bought my first Porsche-a 1999 Boxster. I love it...one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, let alone owned. It seems to be mechanically pretty sound-it runs like a watch-but cosmetically it's a little tatty. It could use a bit of paint work, mainly. A few cracks in the leather, too. It's that dark blue with grey leather, and a blue cloth top, which has been one of my favorite combos. Okay, okay. It IS my favorite combo. It's nice to be back in a Porsche-key on the left, tach right in the middle where it belongs. The temperature gauge is a bit unsettling, but I'll warm to it (no pun intended).

My car came with the factory-optional 18" BBS wheels; yesterday I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it (225/40 in front, 265/35 in back) as I have had very good luck with that particular tire. When I got it back I noticed a bit of spring squeaking, like maybe when it was on the rack the spring hung down and became slightly unseated. I'll live with it for a couple of days, and if it doesn't self-correct I'll jack the car up, pull the wheel off, and root around a bit.

But that got me thinking about springs, shocks, and potentially coilovers. What's the best way to go on all that? Maybe with a Porsche stock is best; I've seen some talk about the European M030 suspension. All that said, the car handles pretty darn well as it sits. Unfortunately, I'm one of those can't-leave-well-enough-alone kind of chaps unless I get some strong advice to the contrary. So-please don't hold out on me! This car will mainly be a road car, but I foresee some autocrossing and some track days in its future.

Thanks in advance-and again, hello to you all that have tons of experience and knowledge that I don't have, but that I want to learn.
Bluetop is offline   Reply With Quote