View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
On my Sunday morning spirited drive i was coming out of a tunnel at full throttle and it suddenly started to shake at 80 mph. as i pulled over the oil pressure light came on.
My first thought is.. well.. the engine finally gave up. 2000 2.7 130k, IMS direct oil feed done a year ago with double row bearing as the one it came with. first thing i do is go look under the car waiting to see oil and chunks of engine guts everywhere but not one drop of anything. i breathe again..

i let it sit for a couple of minutes, check the oil level and its good. i figured i would drive it slow on the shoulder to get off the very busy highway but while i did that the light came on and off intermittently for a few hundred feet then went away completely so i drove it home 6-7 miles. it drove normally, was making power, temp gauge didnt budge so i got home safe.

what am i looking at here? oil pump? oil sender?
when this happened i had been driving it flat out for about an hour and a half (i dont get up at 6 to drive for nothing )

other things to mention is i have been having two small oil leaks which seem to be coming from the spark plug tubes on both sides on the cylinders towards the front of the engine. i was about to look further into those next weekend. when i say small i mean there is never a drop of oil on the garage floor so the leak is prob only when the engine is running. the oil level never dropped at all in 3000 miles.

what a scare! it's the engine vibrating that made my heart skip a beat. is that normal with sudden oil pressure loss?

any advice would be appreciated guys! i'm going up north on a 3000 mile drive in two weeks and i need to have this sorted.

thanks,

Cristian
Scan the car with a Porsche specific scan tool, looking for any stored pending codes.