View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
PaulE

Question on tires for first HDPE

I have my first HPDE coming up in mid-July at Mosport. My 2003 S is bone-stock with 59,000 miles, except for its IMSB which has been replaced with the LN single row pro. I have 2 sets of stock wheels with factory spec/sized tires - 18 inch Light Carreras with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's and 17 inch wheels with the 5 double spokes also with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. I use the 17 inch wheels for daily driving and these tires are almost brand new. The tires on the 18 inch wheels are older but not old, and have plenty of tread left. I'm thinking of putting the 18 inch wheels on the car for my trip to Mosport. The drive from home to the track is just over 500 miles. I'd probably like the drive a little better on the 17 inch wheels but the difference is slight, and I've taken similar length trips with the 18's in the past. If the track driving is going to put significant wear on the tires, I'd prefer to do that to the 18 inch tires.

I think the track handling would be slightly better on the 18's, but this is my first outing and I have a lot to learn. I think I'm more concerned about tire wear, but am looking for some input from people who've done some HPDE events. In daily driving I seem to do very well with tire wear, all my tire replacements have happened due to road hazard damage well before the tread has worn down.

As an aside my only previous track experience was at Lime Rock a couple of times in the mid 1980's in a stock 1981 RX-7. Then this past April I got to do 4 laps in a Lamborghini Hurrican LP 610 and 4 laps in a Porsche 991 Turbo at a corporate event at Exotics Racing in Las Vegas. Back in the 80's, it was called Time Trials, everyone in the same class went out to practice together with passing only on the straights, then you got a couple of chances to drive your car with only one other car half way around the track so you could go for a lap time. Having an instructor drive you around the track was optional.

Anyways, thanks for any advice you can provide on tires to use for the HPDE!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote