View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
Seal Grey Sasha 986

Garage
986s autocross alignment

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I know this has been covered time and time again in one form or another, but I'm still having trouble deciding on an alignment set up for my car. Here's the short of my setup...

2003 boxster s (74k miles) with stock suspension, stock 17" wheels and (currently) stock size Sumitomo HTR Z III tires, but I plan to upgrade the front to 225's before next season, I also have 17" wheels, 1/2" wider than stock, but still 255 / 205 setup with p-zero's I run on the street. I am awaiting delivery of one more part before I re-allign, but I'll have new(er) junk yard bilstein struts in the rear, and Pedro's Techno brace. Can anyone give any insight on alignment settings to help with the inherent understeer?

Right now I'm looking at as much negative camber in the front as the stock suspension will allow ( not much, I know), 0 toe front (maybe slight positive) to maintain some streetability, but in the rear I'm totally lost as to optimal settings for a starting point. I've got a mechanical background, and I understand the physics and geometry behind what changes affect the handling how, but I still need assistance in figuring it out. The more neutral the handling, the better, maybe leaning more towards overseer for a more "tossable" feel on the course. I know it might not be very possible with the stock set-up, as Porsche made the car to be "idiot proof", but I have future plans for changes as money allows (camber plates, coilovers, wider, stickier tires, etc.)

So, what it boils down to is...what's a good starting point for me to tell the shop to set my alignment to? The car is a weekend "play toy", car meet go-er, and autocrosser with plans to take in some DE events in the future...NOT an every day driver. That's what the Subaru is for haha.
Seal Grey Sasha 986 is offline   Reply With Quote