View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
Smallblock454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borin View Post
Hello everyone. I picked up an '01 Boxster yesterday with 34,000 miles on it. This is my first Porsche. When I buy a used car, I usually start by replacing all the fluids (engine oil, trans oil, diff oil), filters, and plugs/wires. However, most of the cars I buy have way more than 34,000 miles.

Without knowing the service history of this vehicle, is it necessary to go through all this with so little mileage? Are the fluids still useful, even if they are fifteen years old? I'm assuming the trans and diff fluid are original.

Anything I should definitely take care of right away?
Thanks.
Hello,

if you don't know the maintenance status of the car i would change all fluids prevetatively. The fluids are 15 years old.
  • Motor oil - 8 litres
  • Transmission / Diif. oil (is one unit). You need a special Transaxle oil.
  • Coolant - 22.5 litres. You need a special Si-OAT coolant or you have to flush the complete coolant system (OEM is BASF Glysantin G40); while you are there i would check radiators, water pump, thermostate
  • Brake fluid - and don't forget to bleed the clutch while doing that
  • Steering fluid - check - it's Pentosin CHF 11S
  • Sparks - change if you don't know how old they are. Should be replaced every 6-7 years, even if you drive not a lot

My recommendation: Don't use fluids that are not approved by Porsche for that car. I've onced used another brand of transmission fluid with the right specs. Now i know that was not a good idea, because this oil is a transaxle oil for transmission and differential.

Search this forum for detailled infos.

Have fun with your new toy…

Regards from Germany. Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote