Thread: Ethanol
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #21
dbear61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
1. Gas with 10% ethanol makes less power than normal gas, and decreases fuel mileage accordingly.
2. Gas with ethanol in entrains water more easily; the entrained water corrodes everything in the fuel system.
3. Gas with ethanol in it is less stable than normal gas, and can actually striate in the system without additional additives to keep it mixed.
+1 on all three points, except I think point 2 JFP means "retain". Gas and water don't mix, but alcohol and water do. So the Ethanol blended fuel can retain water and separate from the oil-based gas. But points 2 and 3 aren't a concern unless the same fuel is sitting in your system for several months. Normal driving and refueling every week or two will only give you problem #1.

The only gas within 50 miles of me is 10% Ethanol, all 3 grades: 87, 89 and 93. I only use 93. I get 18-19 mpg combined city/hwy driving and max out at about 24 on the highway. For the Winter, I add Stabil on the last fill-up and let it run for 15 minutes to work through the whole system.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote