View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
BoxsterLS376

Engine failure option... Chevy V6?

Greetings everyone,

For some time now i've been trying to come up with a good alternative for the many dreaded engine failures these cars experience. As some of you know i've gone down the V8 swap path, while pretty much everyone loves the concept, it is not a financially viable option for most people.
Throughout my project i've gotten a lot of feedback and while the V8 car is badass, i'd like to come up with a better replacement option for the unfortunately failure prone motors. I'd like to put some thoughts out to the community and see what you think about it.

I think a good replacement option would be the Chevy LFX engine which can be found in the 2012 and later Camaro. It is an all aluminum, 3.6 Liter direct fuel injected, DOHC motor which makes about 323HP and weighs about 50 pounds less then the Boxster S motor. Overall a pretty good combination...

A bit of research will still have to be done before I commit to anything but we have a willing subject who may be interested in taking on this project, so that's a good start!
Beyond that Kennedy Engineering already makes and adapter plate setup for the Boxster S Transmission, that's good too. Modifications need to be done to the gearbox but it will work. I'd really love to make this kit available for the non-S crowd as well so if anyone out there has a non-S and may be interested in this project let me know!

I have a few primary goals for this project...

1. Little to no body modifications. It is a taller motor so perhaps a custom/modified engine cover, but the goal would be to have a bolt-in DIY solution. It would be an ADVANCED DIY, but that's the goal

2. Reasonable price point - $10K~ Including used engine. Since it is a smaller motor hopefully we can fit the whole thing in, modify the connections and keep the Chevy accessories on the motor. Without working through it a bit more it is hard to nail down a specific price, but once everything is designed I think a more/less Bolt-In DIY kit could come in around a $10K price point including the motor.

3. FULL KIT with DIY Instructions and Videos - In Depth. As some of you know I got pretty frustrated with the company I bought my V8 installation kit from regarding lack of completeness and complete lack of instruction. I would like to make this a FULL KIT including all the engine/transmission mounts, hoses, lines, clamps etc. so you spend less time hunting down the parts you need to install everything and can get your car back on the road ASAP. Or if you choose to have a shop install it for you, it should be an easier installation which in the end costs you less money!!

So I'll add a little poll on this post and am looking forward to hearing your feedback on this idea.
Thanks
John
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote