View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #20
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
I just did exactly this with mine (with the exception of the oil pump work and brake ducts, which I would like to know more about...), in addition to wheel bearings, water pump, idler pulleys, drive belt, thermostat, and chain tensioners. The work cost me as much as I paid for the car. But here's the thing: my wife and I love, love, love this car like no other. It is a true source of joy for us to drive this little roadster. Totally impractical and expensive. This is the emotional approach to the dilemma.

OTOH, San Rensho has an excellent point. With notable exceptions (like air-cooled 911s), most cars are hideous investments. You will never get back one nickel you put into them. And these old Boxsters are some of the worst for maintenance costs, and they're definitely not appreciating in value. Maybe the smart and practical approach is to spend as little as possible on them and drive them until they die.
Some years back, Porsche released an updated spring and piston for the oil pump, with a bevel on the top edge of the piston and a slightly stronger spring which improve the oil pressure slightly, particularly at low RPM's when hot. Parts are about $20, and it is a 5 min. swap when the car is in the air. Part numbers are 997-107-125-01 for the spring, 996-107-127-53 for the piston, and 996-107-123-50 for the crush washer.

The front brake ducts are a GT car item, and much bigger than factory for improved brake cooling, particularly at the track. Funny bit is that again they are less than $20 for the pair; part numbers are 997-341-483-92, and 997-341-484-92 (left and right). As the old units pop right out, these larger units are another 5 min. project.