View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
Roger1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The problem of owning one of these cars is that the resale price has dropped low, but the maintenance or engine replacement costs have not. You need to make a decision; either put the money into the car to fix what is wrong and prevent future catastrophic failure so you can enjoy it for as long as you please, or sell the car before the cam deviations become critical and move on.

We have customers that face that decision regularly. We just had a 2001 Boxster leave the shop after major upgrades (dual row IMS Solution, clutch, pressure plate, dual mass flywheel, throw out bearing, RMS, new AOS, plugs, new front brake air ducts, upgraded oil pump pressure spring and piston, etc., etc.) that all in cost a significant portion of the cars resale value. But the owner, who is also the original owner, loves the car and intends to keep it for a long time. Now he is facing years of ordinary maintence and problem free driving. It is all where your head is at.
I have already spent more than the car's resale value. You have all helped me to see that my only option at this point is to finish the job.

I will then recover my investment through the years of enjoyment the car will give.
Roger1965 is offline   Reply With Quote