View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
Mig

Garage
It's fixed! I now have 1st gear (along with all the other gears too).

I initially tried to fix the problem by repositioning the clamp around the selector shaft of the transmission, but the clamp can only go one way as it's located in place by the set screw. So much for that idea.

As I continued to look at the problem I could only see 2 solutions.

The first solution was to buy the replacement relay rod (which is adjustable) so that I could get more extension (and therefore more rotation on the selector shaft). When I called the dealership for the part I was informed the price was $75, but they needed to check on something because he wanted to make sure I got the correct part. I got a call back later saying that the new part I need was over $300 and that I would also need a new shifter cable somewhere around $450. There was no way I was going to spend that much money for what seemed to be a small problem.

The other option was to grind a bit of material out of the slot in the bell crank that the relay rod travels in. It was hitting the upper end of the slot and needed a few more millimetres of travel to get into position for 1st gear.

I removed the bell crank assembly off the transmission and took it to my bench. Using a drill with a small grinder attachment I cleanly took off enough material to lengthen the slot. I put the assembly back on, reconnected the cables, and first gear was there.

Everything works well now, and I'm tempted to just leave it alone, but I'm going to call Pelican Parts and see if they can get me the $75 relay rod which my local dealership says won't work for my car.

Thanks again for all the responses and suggestions. This is a great community!
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote