View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
geraintthomas

Bloody hell. There's far too much worry about the IMS, and it's laughable in some cases - I'm not implying this to you don't worry, it's in general. There's been a few people who have started threads with subjects like "Car won't start" or "Lumpy idle", and people will literally jump on the IMS band wagon. In fact, one was started a month or two ago of a guy who had his engine give out on him on a road and it failed to turn over again. Several people basically said it may the IMS and it just turned out to be a faulty AOS.

Do an oil change and look at the oil filter. If there aren't any metal flakes, put new oil and a new filter back in and just drive the damn car, but drive it like it was meant to be driven. Don't stress the engine while cold, take it over 5,000rpm regularly within reason when the engine is up to temp, drive it when you can and don't garage queen the thing for special occasions. It's these cars that aren't driven often that fail. Rubbers seize when they don't get used, crack, let grease out and that's when things start to fail. Including the rare but blown-out-of-proportion occurrence of a failing IMS bearing.

Before anyone says anything, I'm not saying they don't fail. I'm simply saying that it's not common at all for them to fail, and when they do it's more the cars that aren't driven regularly.

My opinion? If there's no metal in the oil filter, you regularly service/get your car serviced, and you drive the car regularly, then don't worry. Don't mess with it, just drive and enjoy it. You could go out tomorrow and the cam chain could snap, or someone may write your car off while it's in a car park (that's happened to me). Or, and I completely agree with the above post, you could get the new IMS bearing installed and it'll fail. That's happened to a few people. There's also been a few instances of that small percentage of people where the seal has failed on the IMS bearing, oil enters the bearing and results in a bearing that gets permanently lubricated by the oil, which brings that percentage of failure even smaller. If people worry as much as they're told to, I'd be surprised if they'd even walk out of their door in the mornings for fear of being killed by a lawn mower.

There's a guy on here with a Boxster with over 300,000 miles on the engine. He didn't even know what an IMS bearing was. Drive it the way it's meant to be driven and just enjoy it

And if you're still worried, just install an IMS guardian. Under $200 and gives you peace of mind.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 06-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote