View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #10
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What's a fair price for a 2002 S model in great shape and under 50k miles?
Torn CV boots, slight tear in rear window, and no IMS done.

That black one looked like a crazy deal until I noticed its an automatic.
Price can greatly depend on location and time of yr. Prices in SoCal are cheaper b/c there are more available than in Fargo, ND. But that Box for sale in Fargo in Oct may be cheaper than ones in SoCal because of the looming weather change. You don't list where you're located and if you're willing to travel for the right car.

You just have to do the research yourself and you'll be able to tell what's a good price and what's not. Coming back here and P-9 with every ad you see will get old for the members. How do you learn prices? Become friends with the various pricing guides - KBB, NADA, etc. I use NADA and use a rule of thumb of a fair price is half way between Clean Trade-In and Retail. The 2nd thing I do is look at various city's Craigslists. San Fran, LA, Dallas, Houston, Miami are good ones for lots of Boxsters and Caymans. You'll get a feel for what a particular yr and model go for.

Then you have to deduct for work that needs to be done. And it depends if you can do the work or have to hire it done. Just some off the cuff estimates for the one above:

torn boots - $500
replace window - $1000
replace IMS - $2000 (clutch + IMS)

Once again, these est done with no searching (other than the IMS which is a std est), but these est would need to be deducted from the value of a good car. You can search here for those items and see plenty of threads on these topics. Price is usually included in them.

Once you know the value for a particular yr and model and any work it needs, then you can determine a price for that car and compare it to the value the seller thinks it's worth.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote