View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Topless
Track rat

Garage
My 986 had an early RSS underdrive pulley installed in 2009 while shaving off just enough of the timing boss for clearance. When we had the IMS retrofit done a few years later we simply re-installed the stock pulley and everything held together as it should. I had very good reliability with my accessories never overheating and the PS pump never leaked with over 100 track days.

Is it a perfect solution? No. Will it work if you are careful with your installation and save your stock pulley for future engine work? Yes. Shade-tree mechanics shaving down the timing boss smooth is the bane of every engine builder.

Never had a problem with overheating the motor and some have suggested that slowing down coolant velocity may actually improve cooling with longer contact time to absorb/release heat. Ideal heat rise through a heat exchanger or motor seems to be about 40F to get maximum heat transfer. Too fast or too slow and some efficiency is lost. I have not tested this in a 986 with any objective measurement tools, just familiar with heat exchangers and flow rates in my day job. The concept is plausible and my own experience was good.