View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
leafdude555

Buying a non-running Boxster S

I am considering buying a 2002 Boxster S with 130k miles. The engine cut out on the owner while he was driving and he says he doesn't want to bother getting it fixed since he has another car. The price is pretty low so I'm intrigued.

The story:
Owner was driving, the engine cut out. It was running a little rough right before it died, as if the car ran out of gas. He tried starting it up again and it started, but then died again a few seconds later. Then it never started after that.

The facts:
- Engine turns over but doesn't start
- No oil leaks visible under the car
- No clicking or clunking sounds when the car died on him
- No check engine light
- Wasn't raining when this happened, so likelihood of M535 immobilizer having gotten wet is low. Car locks and unlocks with remote so at least that portion is working
- No white froth oil dipstick

Any opinions on what it could be? If it's IMS bearing failure, then I'm not interested. But the fact that the engine turns over would lead me to believe its not IMS. Any ways I can check to verify it is not IMS failure? I have durametric so I can scan the codes. If cam deviation is within spec can I safely assume IMS bearing is good? I really don't want to have to inspect the oil filter for particles in the guy’s garage or take spark plugs out and borescope inside the engine to check if valves are broken. If the cam deviation test with durametric is not definitive then I will consider having it towed to a shop to check oil filter and spark plugs.

Other possibilities are crank position sensor. I don't think it is CPS since it would throw a check engine light right?

Could also be fuel pump or its relay. Does this type of failure indicate a fuel related issue?

Could it be a head gasket or cracked head/block? There is no white material on oil dipstick, can I safely assume it is not head gasket or cracked head/block?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by leafdude555; 05-25-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added another fact
leafdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote