View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Spirit_RE

Period correct (late 90s) wheel suggestions?

Hey guys, new boxster owner here (see my thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61369-99-2-5-sleeve-question.html) and am wanting to do a few subtle mods to the car. Essentially headers, catback, euro-spec suspension, and wheels/tires.

On that last front, I've been looking around at what the community at large has selected for Boxsters. The best (to me) I've seen is the Speedline 3.6-type wheels (as above) with a beefy sidewall. I really dislike tall wheels and skinny sidewalls. So I'd like to stick with 17" wheels. Importantly, I'd like to keep the look as late 90s as possible. I think it's because I was 10 when this car came out, but I really love that period of car design. Unfortunately, I'm having hard time finding wheels from that period. Any suggestions?

I really love the OZ Futura wheel as on this 964 (that stance is almost perfect IMO, just needs a 1/4-1/2" less ride height)

I'm worried that Futura's are a little late 80s early 90s though. Not quite contemporary with the Boxster and I think it would be a little too 'retro' (putting them on a newer Porsche like this is definitely retro:

The 5 spoke RUF wheels are quite nice, but a little too tall for my liking:

To be sure, I'm looking for wheels with some apparent mass to them as I think they contrast with the delicate form of the Boxster quite well. This rules out most BBS-type mesh wheels. The BBS RF design is quite nice, but again, it has the same anachronistic issue as the Futuras.

The Speedline 3.6 is the leading candidate so far, but I would like to see some other suggestions.

Yes I am being quite ridiculous.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote