View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Atomicblue99

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
How do you like the 981? I drove both recently and they feel so different. The 986 you feel more up high, like the cockpit of a fighter jet. The 981 feels more "in" the car, like a tank.

986 just felt more fun to me but obviously not as nice as the 981. I'm debating which to get!
Grunson,

I LOVE the 981. I agree the two Boxsters do feel very different. Driving the 986 again was a bit of a shock after a 1200 mile drive in the 981 (driving home from Texas after purchasing). Fighter jet/tank analogy is a good one. But this tank handles like a fighter jet :-)

Understand, I got the 986 after 6 years in a 93 Miata. So, initially the 986 felt large to me; and the power was a huge step up. The transition from the 986 to the 981 is a similar feeling - the interior size is bigger, the creature comforts, technology, and power are all increased.

I drove the 986 to work on Tuesday, and I must say it's still a joy. It feels light and nimble. The lower window sills and thinner "A" pillars compared to the 981 give an impression of airiness the 981 can't replicate. The other big difference in my cars is the 986 is a 6 spd manual vs the 981's PDK. While the PDK continues to amaze me with its lightning quick shifts and intuitive logic, nothing can replace the "connected" feeling a manual transmission provides. The manual on the 986 is still very smooth, working through the gears with a solid feel. It's still the second best shifter I've ever used; the Miata is the best.

From an everyday usability stand point (the Boxster is my daily driver), the 986 is a good every day sports car, the 981 is a great everyday sports car. The 981 is a bit bigger in side, the trunks are a little bigger, the infotainment is better and it’s quieter on long drives. Oh, and the 981 gets better fuel mileage.
When you look at it from a cost perspective the calculations get a little more complicated. I got a great deal on the 986 when I bought it, so from a depreciation stand point I’m not going to take too big a hit when it sells. However, the maintenance on an older car (regardless of make) is more frequent; with a Porsche it’s also more expensive. I need to go through all my receipts and add up the cost for my time with the car. I have a feeling it will still be cheaper than the costs of the 981.

When I bought the 986, I wanted to see if I could afford the ownership experience of a Porsche. I was just back from a year in Afghanistan and figured I’d give it a shot. I think I made the right choice. Financially, I had the money to pay cash for the 986 and the income to afford proper maintenance from a very good independent mechanic. I did some light maintenance (brakes, air filters, and oil changes) myself.

My financial situation change again last year and the wife suggested I get a newer car (and one with an automatic so she could drive it too). It was never really a question of what I would get. I briefly considered a 997 Cabrio, but decided to stay with the 981. Another advantage of this 981 is it’s a Porsche Certified vehicle so the warranty is almost 3 years long for me.
As you debate between 981 and 986, consider several factors. Is this a daily driver, is it a long commute? Do I have the cash flow to afford the maintenance? Do I need/want a car with a warranty? Do I require the latest tech (nav/Bluetooth/mp3)? Is purchase cost the biggest hurdle? Bottom line is both cars a very fun to drive, but with different personalities. Drive both, do your analysis, and decide.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote