View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Adrian Thompson

Intro and Running a cheap Boxster, what could possibly go wrong?

I’m not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself and my car, if not feel free to tell me and I’ll move this.

I’ve been a Porsche nut for years, I’ve come close on a couple of occasions, but never taken the plunge before. While some people aren’t keen on Boxsters I love them, and personally think the 986/996 front end works better on the Boxster than the 911, especially in drop top configuration. The Boxster just looks right, while a 911 Convertible looks like a hump back whale. You may have noticed I’m a convertible person having had a Spitfire, a Miata and several Mustang convertibles over the years as well. I’ve also done a fair bit of track driving, autocross, hillslimbs and even one season racings, but most of that was pre kids in the 90’s. I’ve only done a half dozen autocrosses in the last 10 years plus a couple of track days.

So, for a while I’ve been looking for a new car. I work for Ford and get a company car, but as my wife does more miles than I do she drives it. I’ve got a Volvo C30 that I bought new (When ford still owned Volvo I hasten to add) But as the Volvo is now 8 years old and 105K miles I’ve been looking for a new car. I bored everyone I know plus people on Grassroots Motorsport forum where I spend a lot of time with my what car rambling. I was considering the whole gamut from a new loaded Mustang GT or Focus RS, down through used Boxsters and other things, but I’d narrowed it down to either a nice low mileage Z4M Roadster (circa $20-25K) Or the best 986 S Boxster on the planet (Circa $20K). What did I do? I bought the least desirable Porsche in existence, except it’s the most desirable Porsche in existence as it’s mine. I wasn’t interested in a 897 with the M97 and non-serviceable IMS Bearing unless I could step up to an 09 with the 9A1 engine and no IMS at all, but that was getting a bit new and pricy. I have no problem buying a 10 year old non Ford product, but If I’m going to buy something newer it needs to be in the Ford family. Pride in what I do, who I do it for and don’t bite the hand that feeds you and all that.