View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
Smallblock454

Whooo. If you disconnect the rear sway bar this car will be undriveable. That is a dangerous idea. Don't do that, especially when racing and you have other people around you that can get hurt. Always safety first.

@steved0x

I think your overall setup is much to aggressive. Maybe this will work on a cart track but not on a race track. And only little steering and throttle movements will affect much. Which can be indeed very scary in a mid engine car.

You're question what you can do on the track for a quick fix. The quick fix would be to soften the rear dampers, because you don't have adjustable sway bars. Maybe harden the front dampers, but because your car front is very low, that will have the side effect that the front starts to bounce and you loose grip on little bumps.

But my recommendation would be to start with a much less aggressive and driveable setup and go from there with testing and time tracking. Always only adjust one parameter when testing.

As a general setup i would level the car. Bring the car up in the front 20-25 mm and lower the rear maybe 5-10 mm. And start from there.

Camber setup is also very aggressive. Please consider that changing the ride height also in general affects camber and trailing. The guys on the Nordschleife i know don't drive with more than -2.5 degrees on their 996. OK, 996 and 986 is different, but i think -3.2 is only for close courses at mid high speeds.

There are some good books about setting up suspension on cars out there. I think t's a good idea to educate oneself in theory of suspension and chassis setup, because what i sometimes read on the internet frightens me. And it helps to understand what the car is doing. Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote