Thread: swirl pots
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Bebbetufs

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just wanted to say how important it is NOT to extend the outlets of the swirl pots directly to the pickup. The swirl pots are not able to remove all the air sucked in by the scavenging pumps. The oil returned to the sump is full of tiny air bubbles. You do not want these anywhere near the pickup. I'm guessng this may be why the 997 exit the oil at the highest point in the sump so the oil can slosh down the walls letting the bubbles dissipate before filling up the sump.

In the 944 engines this is a thought to be a main reason for rod bearing failures as the oil is so close to the crank it is whipped into cream during hard breaking. Air is not very good for keeping mechanical parts separated.

This is also why I'm not completely sold on the horisontal baffle plate. It seems like an efficient way of trapping air bubbles as they dissipate from the oil. I don't know if they can escape freely without getting too close to the suction from the pickup. I guess it's not a problems since people have been logging oil pressure and found it to be stable with this plate.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote