View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #2525
paulofto
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I just returned from having a clutch, flywheel, RMS and LN Retrofit bearing installed by a local shop at 83,845 KM (52,400 Miles). I had this done because my wife and i are planning a long west coast trip in June and I wanted no issues while on the road. New tires were put on last week as well as brake/clutch fluid change and a full bumper to bumper check done.

New clutch feels great. The old IMS bearing looked perfect and rotated very smoothly. I removed one of the seals and, although it had no grease in it, there was fresh oil inside. I change my oil at least every 5000 KM (3000 Miles) so this may have a lot to do with the pristine bearing. The seals were perfect with no signs of breakdown. The mechanic said the flange seal was not leaking and neither was the RMS. I now have a very expensive paper weight, two if you count the flange, but a load of anxiety off my shoulders.

The car had an IMS Guardian that had a slow leak that, under inspection, showed that the leak was coming from where the wire leads came out from the sender. It sealed fine at the sump plate, which is where i thought the leak might be coming from. The leads are fine all the way to the end plug connector but the insulation at the sender is worn away. Maybe heat? It was installed only last year so I am a little disappointed that this has happened. I still believe the Guardian is a good idea, not just to detect IMS early wear, but for any kind of ferrous metal in oil detection. The shop put in a magnetic plug in the mean time.

I will be contacting LN Engineering when i get my paper work together and try and get a replacement sending unit.

So here are a couple of pictures of old bearing and the Guardian if anyone is interested. Any marks on the seal are due to me using a pick to remove it. It was perfect before i pried it off. The bearing was marked NSK and made in Poland

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote