View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Cbonilla

Garage
I'm toying with the idea of building a switch (the ebay seller in the UK has dropped off the map, and he wanted about $70 for this switch) for my 2003 986S. Have only occasional need for this so its just not worth spending $$$ on it. Especially when the device is so simple to make

The Airbag Deactivation Bar that Porsche sells for the 986 is an expensive piece of hardware (a couple of hundred $) that requires the buckle from a Porsche child seat to work (another few hundred $$ if you can find one). The bar bolts onto the seat rails and has a plug that connects to a socket that you'll find under the passenger seat. You can splice a socket of your choice into the factory wire to make the connections. As well as activation by a Porsche Dealer or someone with a PST2.

If you look at the attached circuit the device is actually quite simple. Two 511 ohm resistors, two 4.02k ohm resistors, and a double pole, single throw (DPST) switch. If it is working correctly then you should register 2.25k ohms or 255 ohms depending on the switch position

Potential problems include the chance that a dealership will refuse to activate the circuitry as you are not using an officlal airbag deactivation product from Porsche. That as much as anything is what is holding me back. Anyone in the DC area know of an indie shop with a PST2?

Does anyone know how the system behaves if you have it activated before you install the Bar/Switch? Does it trip and airbag light that requires a Durametric or Porsche tool to turn off, or does it happily accept it?

Last edited by Cbonilla; 04-28-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote