View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Graph means what?

So out of 100 Porsches on any particular day of the year, on average that sampling showed that there were 97 "problems" evident in those 100?

Or over the life of those 100 cars they cumulatively had 97 problems at some point in time?

As the 2nd owner of a 99 Jeep Wrangler, having owned it for the last 10 years, I have only replaced a cracked header, and a starter motor after numerous submersion's in the lake while launching Seadoo's.

No current issues, so how does that translate to those statistics?

Lies, damned lies and statistics, its all the same.
I was curious, so I looked up the study. Here's a bit that generally explains their method:

The J.D. Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)
focuses on problems experienced by
original owners of 3-year-old vehicles. Study findings are used extensively by manufacturers
worldwide to help them design and build better vehicles—which typically retain higher resale
value—and by consumers to help them make more informed choices for both new and used
vehicles.
Problem symptoms are evaluated in eight vehicle system categories:
• Exterior
• Seats
• The Driving Experience
• HVAC
• Features/Controls/Displays
• Interior
• Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation
• Engine/Transmission
Quoted from: http://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/vds_ss_16.pdf

Quote:
...in the lake while launching Seadoo's.
My SeaDoo's reliability was terrible, they were 90s models. Gave them away and got some old WaveRunners. Those old Yamahas just keep on going.