View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
RichRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
"Radio comes on when a door is opened (no key in ignition) and goes off when door is closed."
*GUESSING: Installation issue - someone installed the power/relay to the wiring that probably powers the door lights. When using the cig lighter it is drawing too much power so the radio cuts due to not getting enough juice I would think. What kind of Radio do you have? I would take the radio totally out and replace it with something else and see what happens. Double check the wires and look for anything that may be fray or touching a ground/metal.
Thanks

It is a Sony radio / CD and the Boxster just has the basic front speakers system (no CD changer or Amp, although it has the yellow amp plug)

The radio is wired into the existing Boxster radio Black Plugged wiring loom so I don't see how it can be connected to the door / interior light?

If I remember correctly when I spent some time on it a couple of weeks ago there are 2 feed wires going into the plug (red and yellow?) and was assuming one would be permanent live for radio memory and one would be switched from ignition but I think both were live most of the time.

It's all a bit random, it doesn't always behave the same way all of the time which made me think it was the ignition switch faulty but it really throws me when it switches off as soon as the wheels start moving! Got to be picking something up from the Speedo? On a wiring diagram I have I do see there is a GR/PK wire marked speedo but pretty sure it is just terminated at the black plug.

I have another OEM ignition switch on order from Pelican so once it arrives in the UK I can at least definitively rule out that part I guess.
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote