View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Retroman1969

HOW is an old Boxster more robust than Jeeps and Trucks??

Seriously.
I just got terrible news. I decided to put my Jeep Wrangler back on the road by replacing the bad head gasket. After it was apart and the new parts in, I found that the recently replaced radiator is split and both the head and block are cracked. It's heavily burned toast. And I was easy on this vehicle, and meticulous about maintenance. Turns out they're prone to these engine problems. (Dead at 118,000 miles)
TOTAL MILAGE ON THE JOB: 18,000

My previous Wrangler, an older YJ, had to have the radiator replaced, and the differential went out. After fixing all of that, it started spitting synchros one gear at a time. Turns out, the 5-speed 4 cylinder YJs have notoriously weak trannys. (Dead at 104,000 miles)
TOTAL MILAGE ON YHE JOB: 6,000

Before that, my Land Rover Discovery needed to be towed twice a week (no joke), needed the whole cooling system, brake system, and much of the electrical system replaced. After fixing most of that, I found that both head gaskets were blown. While contemplating fixing that, the tranny started slipping. All of these and more are extremely common on Land Rovers. (Dead at 124,000 miles)
TOTAL MILAGE ON THE JOB: 8,500

Before THAT! My Nissan Pickup had a multitude of differential and electrical issues and a fuel injection problem that no one could figure out. Sold it while I was ahead. (81,000 miles)
TOTAL MILAGE ON THE JOB: 14,000

Current work car: 1999 Porsche Boxster. Yes, I've replaced several worn out items as it hit higher mileage, only needed a tow twice: once because the coolant bottle was leaking, and I didn't want to risk getting it hot, and once when I wrecked it (it was still drivable, but hey, free tow from AAA).
You guys have probably seen my posts with the downtown traffic, and going off-road, and plowing through miles and miles of snow, and yet the bloody thing keeps cheerfully humming along. How??! (Still going at 171,000)
TOTAL MILAGE ON THE JOB so far: 48,000

What's left to say, except: WTF??

PS: I'm selling the jeep to a do-it-yourself off road guy and the money will be put aside to buy a lower mileage used engine for the Boxster when it finally does go. Might as well reward loyalty.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 04-26-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote