View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Trunk won't open

Well, it finally happened, I was at an AX over the weekend and my trunk would not open.

I could hear the solenoid operating, but would not unlatch. Fortunately I was able to locate the emergency release cable, it was not too much of a PITA to get to. You have to remove 1 plastic nut on the rear fender liner , pull bit back with the heat shield, reach in, locate the cable and give it a good tug.

Once the trunk was open, I took a look at the latch and the cable for the solenoid was broken. Didi what I normally do and looked up the part. A new one costs around $150! I didi come across a thread for repairing it
Rear Trunk Latch/Opening - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Found a local hobby shop that had the part, bought a soldering gun from HF for under $15 and did the repair. Works like a charm!

I am a little concerned that the cable may break again as it got a little un-woven and found a used solenoid with cable on ebay for ~$30. I think I will install that one when I get a chance and have a spare hour or so as it looks like you have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it.

At least I have a working trunk again
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote