View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
mr.borrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
If you can get the camshaft deviation values, get them. Likely from Durametric or a porsche tool. Camshaft adjusters lie in between the camshafts.

Getting that out means removing the valve cover, locking down the timing with a special $184 tool, locking the crank, removing camshaft bearing caps, removing the sprocket from the camshafts, then removing them both. You'll then replace the adjuster, which will cost around $1,500, and after that you reset the timing in respect to the two camshafts, put them back in the car, set the timing in respect to the crank, and drive.
I assume this can only be done by pulling the engine being it in located where it is. Was checking prices and found this website;
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=986-97-04&section=103-10

They seem to be had cheaper there but I don't know anything about this websho and quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello mr.borrie,

yes i'm located in Germany.

Broken camshaft adjuster. Hm, the question is if there is other damage caused by that. How many Km does the car have on it? Don't buy a car you haven't seen and inspected in person.

The best books you can get for this car is the official Porsche workshop manual. There are also books from Bentley publishers and so on.

I think an universal OBD reader won't be the right decision. Better will be a Durametric diagnosis tool. An original PIWIS system will be to expensive. Maybe you should look for an independent Porsche workshop near you, that has Porsche diagnostic tools.

And don't forget it's a Porsche. So you're dealing with spare part prices that can be unpleasent. Especially if you need new Porsche OEM parts to fix problems. And don't forget, the car you're looking for is 19 years old. So there will be parts failing from time to time.

Regards, Markus
I wont buy a car without seeing it that's for sure! The official Porsche workshop manual.. is that something you can buy or only dealers have access too?
Too bad about the OBD reader being useless, I also have OBD cable with USB .. would that work with the mentioned software... lets say for trail purposes?

The part prices is indeed something to keep in mind, they are pretty heavy compared to what I am used to with Volvo.. who are also not the cheapest to begin with. My main concern is the Engine though I read so much bad things about them that makes me doubt the whole 986/996/997 base.
But that reputation is I guess one that makes it even possible for me to drive a Porsche to begin with

Last edited by mr.borrie; 04-26-2016 at 12:19 AM.
mr.borrie is offline   Reply With Quote