View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
78F350,
I am trying to find where the harness plugs into the master connector at the dash, ...
I just back tracked to your post: lost all power… Help please..?

I understand your frustration.
I also see that you have a Cayman(?) and what I am looking at is from an '01 Boxster. All of what follows is 986 info, but most should apply.

The "master connector" is what I am not understanding. Each component in the dash plugs into the main harness. What do you mean by "master"?

If you have replaced the ignition switch already and the connection is good, there are a few more things up front that may prevent it from starting (cranking):

Instrument cluster - Some processing goes on in there, but I'm not sure there is anything that would directly prevent a start.

Immobilizer pick-up coil (transponder coil) - This sends/receives the pulse that compares the code in your key to what is stored in your car's immobilizer. it is a small 2-wire connection to a black plastic piece that surrounds the ignition key cylinder.

Clutch or Neutral Safety Switch - depending on transmission type. On the pivot of the pedals for the clutch, or back on the transmission for an auto/Tip.

From there its left to the Central Locking unit (Immobilizer box) under the seat, the starter, or the DME (ECU) on the rear trunk firewall, or the wires connecting them.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-25-2016 at 03:03 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote