View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
Benitom
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Gelbster said:
"There is an alternative offered by Forum Member "Ben006" - a ball bearing shifter to reduce the plastic issues."
Benitom - Glad you are supporting a fellow 986 Forum member.
Let us know how the installation goes?
Finally installed the Ben006 ball bearing short shifter. Very happy with the results so far. Haven't taken it out for a drive I plan on going out this evening. Installation was fairly easy but with nuances - I used the 101 Boxster Project Guides Book for installation instructions. The hardest part for me was removing the small side leather panels, they are very tight need to use some force to pull them out. The third screw in the center console storage compartment was difficult to find. Maybe Porsche hid it for kicks and giggles. And of course the original shifter took the longest to remove. I used a dremel to shave down the plastic and a flat head screw driver to push it out. The one major suggestion I have is purchasing a new Shift linkage Coupling, mine was fairly worn. I ordered a new one from parts geek. I left some of the small panels off so I can remove the center console quickly when the new Shift linkage Coupling arrives. If it wasn't for the original shifter being so difficult to remove from the housing, installation would only take about an hour. I should have just pulled out my small hand saw and cut the plastic. I was so determined to remove it I should have worked smarter and not harder. :dance:
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote