View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
chaiyz

Garage
2001 Boxster S Axle boots and some odd findings.

New to me, 2001 Boxster S. 110k Bought the car for a song with a pile of service history from same dealership from 2001 till 12/2015.

Upon driving the car more spiritedly than the previous owner, I realized that the front motor mount was shot. Purchased the sleeved insert from pelican and Tuesday I went to a friends to use his lift. Once I had the car in the air I was very surprised to see that all 4 axle boots were cracked and shot. This wasn't expected so I did the front mount and upon completion, I've taken the car back home and parked it. AGAIN.....

I started looking for ideas on what to do and quickly realized that something is amiss with my understanding of these axles.

First I went to pelican to just replace both axles, boots and all. But at over $1700 for both, it seemed insanely expensive and I sought other options. Took the car back to friends lift and had another friend give the axles an inspection. He said the axles look fine with no play etc so he said I should just order all boots and prepare for a long weekend.

Today I was searching for these kits when I just happened to search google and found the axles on the Advance Autoparts website for $69 ea. I thought this was either a typo or the worst chinese axles made but since they're not in stock, I opted to post here before buying anything.

So, my thinking is that it may just be easier for me to buy cheap axles just so that I can get my axles removed and rebuilt without the time crunch of getting it done in a weekend.

Not really sure what else to say, I'm not racing the car and I'm not really planning to drive it daily. Would like to go through the car system by system and get it back to spec. Prices are all over the place on these axles, parts etc so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm an engineer so I'm comfortable doing the work, but just don't have the experience under my belt to know the in's and out's of the S model 6 speed boxster H6.

Thanks for any help.

Chaiyz